About Me

My photo
These are the days in the lives of Sophie and Jake, with a few inputs from Mom and Dad.

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Meals on Wheels


I started volunteering for Meals On Wheels. So of course, the kids go with me. It's been fun and interesting. Sophie's been around her 87 year old great-grandmother a lot, so elderly people aren't new. But some of their problems are. I do have to say- my grandmother is able and her mind is sharper than mine is. So of course, Sophie had some questions about some of these people. There is a man, Mr. C., who can't speak. So he nicely mumbles, and for whatever reason we have to pass his meal through the window of his room. He's hooked up to some stuff, but he scoots over to the window and he's got on a grungy shirt. As soon as we get in the car, she asks why he's wearing a dirty shirt. So I explain that it's kinda like Jake. When you get older, sometimes you can't take care of yourself as well, like a baby. Some people drool or get food on their shirt like babies, some can't make food for themselves. Some even wear diapers like babies. She's like, ok, ok. Ok. Then- "WHAT?? DIAPERS??". I just can't wait until she asks Mamaw if she wears diapers!

No comments: